Thursday, May 24, 2012

Where's The Victory?


Happy Memorial Day Weekend!  Almost sounds like an oxymoron, because “happy memorial” conjures up so many conflicting sentiments as we remember soldiers, wars, battles won and lost, lives won and lost.  I often dwell on the sorrow of the losses—needless, if only we could work out differences in a peaceful manner instead of our typical violent selves.  Deep sighs.

So I was struck to see this particular quote pop up this morning in the daily devotional Inward/Outward.  It drew my mind right back into that Memorial Day oxymoron.  Bear with me, as my mind moves in weird directions this morning:

Aren't we privileged to live in a time when everything is at stake, and when our efforts make a difference in the eternal contest between the forces of light and shadow, between togetherness and division? Between justice and exploitation? Oh, be joyful that you are a warrior in this great time! Will we rise to this battle? If so, we cannot lose, for rising up to it is our victory. If we represent love in the world, you see, we have already won.

Privileged?  “Privileged” may stroke my ego for just a moment, but in this context doesn’t stir up feelings of joy if I’m thrust in a position of conflict, between justice and exploitation.  I might have chosen a word like “courage,” or “guts” or even “strength beyond ourselves.”  But privileged?  To one like me who avoids conflict at almost any cost?

I suppose “privileged” is a synonym for blessed, but it sure sounds more sanctimonious. Now, I realize by way of our heritage, that we are all blessed—to be blessing for others, not ourselves.  Yeah,  yeah, I say, we know that, what else is new?  I let the word “blessed” just slip back out of my psyche.  It’s such a gentle word, compared to “privileged.”

So I hop back into the quote.  Surely there has to be a key to why we would be so privileged to be part of a battle?  And there it is:  “rising up to (this battle) IS OUR VICTORY….IF we represent love in the world.”

This Memorial Day weekend, I give thanks for those who have risen up in the battle FOR justice and AGAINST exploitation.  The victory may feel very different from a “win,” but hold onto the victory that is in the simple, but courageous “rising up.”  And the privilege to do the right thing.

Grace and joy,
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment