Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Ministry Vows



I confess.  I am a recovering perfectionist. 

You know what the definition of a perfectionist is? 

A perfectionist is a person who takes great pains, and gives them to others.

I laugh at that line a lot when I point out the perfectionistic streaks in others.  When I realized my blindness in my own giving of perfectionistic pains to others, it wasn't so amusing as embarrassing.  If I have inflicted the pains of high and unreasonable expectations toward you, I deeply apologize, and ask your forgiveness.

I am learning to embrace my mistakes as growing steps.  But some mistakes, I firmly believe, are gifts, simple and pure.

A man I much admire, Bo Thomas, recently confessed a mistake in calling our Membership Vow emphasis here at West End UMC our “ministry” vow emphasis.  He apologized profusely at our Ministry Table meeting in November, for his haste in repeatedly making that “mistake.”  I like to think it is a gift, rather than a mistaken misnomer.

Membership vows are indeed what we profess when we join the church.  But membership, as American Express proclaims, comes with privileges.  Membership implies we’ve made the cut, we officially belong in the circle, not outsiders any more.  It’s similar to entitlement—our rights and privileges attained when we give the correct answers.

Perhaps it’s simply a matter of semantics, but I much prefer Bo’s “mistaken misnomer.”  What would it mean if we stood before the Body of Christ and professed our Ministry Vows? 

I vow to give my life to the ministry of prayers, presence, gifts, service and witness.

Can you hear a difference?  Membership typically refers to me, and what I can get—Ministry is an outward act, asking what can I do for others.

I’m so glad we’re taking this year to study and reflect on our Membership Vows.  My prayer is that we hear Ministry Vows, and act accordingly.  It seems to me that those of us with ears to hear might just get up and do.  And celebrate the varied and abundant ministries amongst our membership!

Grace and joy,
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment