Friday, February 15, 2013

February Trifecta!

What a week!  Jazz Mass on Tuesday, Ash Wednesday, and a Thursday Valentine's Day!  And for two thirds of the festivities, I was down with laryngitis.  I usually experience the silence twice a year, seasonally in the Spring and Fall.  I had such fun during Jazz Mass that I could feel the croaking coming on by the end of the service.  I'm just now coming out of hoarse squeaking, but the cough is still lingering.

In my quiet time, I had time to listen.  I listened to the robins and cardinals flocking on the trees outside my window.  I listened to the children waiting for the bus in the morning.  I listened to a radio station celebrating the end of the Trio of Terror holidays--Christmas, New Years, and Valentine's Day.  I'd never thought of those three together like that, but I imagine the dj's family gatherings are reminiscent of a Robert Earl Keene song.

If I had had a voice, I would have invited others to share so I could listen to them.  Listening is a precious gift.  Listening says "I care."  Listening says "What you have to say is important to me."  Listening says "I want to understand you better."  In our busy lives, filled with television and various forms of social media, we often take those around us for granted.  How special and intimate it is to turn off everything and simply spend listening time with our partners, our children, our parents, our friends! And if the time spent together seems too intimate, too awkward, try working a jigsaw puzzle together, or a card game.  Those were the best times with my kids, who would let the conversation go where it may during those times together.  Secret:  It works for adults, too.

Back to my tea with lemon, and toast.  I'm sure I'll be back to normal (okay peanut gallery, as normal as I get!) by Sunday.  In the meantime, I think this listening gig is one I want to practice more of.  

Grace and joy,
Julie


No comments:

Post a Comment