Thursday, June 13, 2013

Loving and Giving Unconditionally

There's a book that used to be on my personal library shelf, now packed away in one of a multitude of boxes, entitled "Troublesome Bible Passages," co-authored by former West End pastor Rev. Dr. David Lowes Watson.  It's a great book, but I think of it when "troublesome Christian practice" crosses my desk.  Today's was in the form of a phone call, not altogether uncommon.

"Tisha" had a dire emergency.  Her electricity was going to be cut off at 1 pm today.  She lives outside of the Nashville Electric System services.  Her electricity payment plan was rather complicated, and she spent a good amount of time explaining it to me.  Her son mows lawns for a living, but wouldn't be paid until Monday.  None of the churches in her city had funds, or weren't answering their telephones.  She had called relatives for a short term loan, and they couldn't assist.  Could West End help?

Given that there was a two-hour window, there wasn't much I could do for her even if I wrote out a personal check.  I looked up the local United Methodist Church in her city, shared the contact information with her, and assured her that the staff should be big enough to answer the telephone, and perhaps might be able to help.  I offered her a bit of hope and compassion, and treated her as if what she shared with me were true (but I suspect not all of it was on the up and up.) 

Nonetheless, I felt for her.  If it weren't that she was so many miles away, and given a little more than 120 minutes, I would have offered her much more, perhaps even calling a contact over at NES.  I figure money management is only the tip of the iceberg in this particular family system. A good frank discussion about her family life, job situation, etc. would be in order, connecting her with resources beyond a quick bailout.  I finally reconciled the situation in my mind to realize that if her electricity were cut off, there were worse situations in which she could find herself.  There are ways to survive for four days without power, even in the summer heat. 

I hope you'll pray with me for the Tisha's in this world, that a Christian with a servant's heart will be able to assist her with Living Power, which in turn will help solve her electrical power issue.  It's all far more complicated than simply handing out a bit of cash.  This loving and giving unconditionally stuff can take many forms, can't it!

Grace and joy,
Julie  


No comments:

Post a Comment