Thursday, March 22, 2012

So What?


I imagine that we’ve all asked that question sometime during our lives, either out loud or in the innermost recesses of our hearts. 

So what?

You can fill in the blanks.  I tried writing some out for you, but they tended to sound pretty judgmental, and reflected my own critical thinking.  I don’t need to impose that onto you!  I’ll bet (if I were a betting woman) you’re your own best critic, too.

The basis of “so what” thinking is asking the basic question, “What’s the purpose and meaning?”  By the time I arrive at asking “so what,” I’m typically at a point where I’m questioning “what’s the use?”  Oh dear.

I love the season of Lent because it is a “set apart” time to be reflective.  To be reflective, means to be aware, or working on being aware.  If there’s one quality that is up on a Top Ten List, I hope Awareness is way up there after Lovingkindness.  Maybe even second.  Awareness might just keep us intentional, and diminish the “so what” question from rearing its head as often.

An unaware life, Anthony De Mello writes, is a mechanical life, not human.  In the current movie “Hugo,” it might correlate to an automaton.  How easy it is to slip into programmed and conditional living!  We can argue that for far too many people on the planet, life is a matter of survival, and that reflective time is a luxury, but frankly, some of the wisest, happiest people I know are in survival mode but have resolved the “so WHAT” question with “so THAT.”

Why am I doing ________________?  So that I can feed my children.  So that I can be a contributing member of my community.  So that I can share some of my life experiences.  So that I can show gratitude for the many blessings I have been given.  So that I can reflect Christ’s love and grace to others.  So that?  You can fill in the blanks.  By becoming aware.

“So that” living is the heart of what we are about as Christians.  I hope you’ll take time to consider the “so that” aspects of your 24 hours.  Sometimes, it can be a lifesaver.  Promise!

Grace and joy,
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment