Friday, April 20, 2012

Why Are We Here?


It’s been a fascinating week.  Of course every week, every day in ministry is different, but perhaps since the moon is in Pisces or somesuch, the questions crossing my desk have been comparisons of religions, denominations, theology and philosophy.  The one bit of flotsam that’s been floating to the surface in the midst of the conversations caused me to stop in my tracks.  Why ARE we here at West End?  Why DO we gather as the Body of Christ? 

I have a tendency to jump right into pride and boastfulness about the things we do and accomplish—our building, our music, our missions and vision, our Spirit.  All reflections of the Holy Spirit, working through us, our blessings and resources.  My, my.  It felt good to wallow in the self-sufficiency of warm fuzzies.  But way, way back in the corner of my mind, this person I would have rather ignored was waving her hand.  I didn’t call on her.  Then she started jumping around and waving both hands.  I still tried to ignore her.  At that point, she yelled out “Hey, Hey!” ( I hate it when the voices in my head get loud enough to have to stop everything to pay attention to them.)

The voice personified reminded me that I am here at West End because I need to be here at West End.  I need others to bring me to my knees when I get too high minded.  I need others to raise me up when I get too forlorn.  I am both a good person and a not-so-good person. I need to be forgiven, and I need to be forgiving.  I need God’s mercy and compassion, so I can give God’s mercy and compassion.

In a church as blessed as we all are here at West End, it’s easy to gloss over our own neediness.  Our material blessings can cover up a lot of personal messiness.  Truth be told, I can be rather intolerant of needy people, especially when the needy one is me.  I much prefer to be the giver, not the one needing to receive.  Puts me in a place of powerlessness if I recognize that side.  I don’t care much for that feeling.  So I pedal along on my own power, and stick with the giving side, but it only gets me so far.  That’s because when it just feels good, the source of my giving is probably self-serving. 

 The real truth, the Gospel truth is, we all need each other.  We need to be in relationship, intimate, raw relationship so we can be fully known and fully forgiven.  Sometimes I think ministry may be easier with people who know, feel, taste and point at what rock bottom is, and know how fully dependent they are on the Higher Power, on God, on Jesus Christ, on the Holy Spirit.  And right after I think that last sentence, I realize I have once again ignored that person in the corner.  It is me—I am needy and dependent—on our Higher Power, our God, our Jesus Christ, our Holy Spirit.  We have a great responsibility, you and I, to recognize our neediness.  It will draw us together, and draw others to us.  Could that be the crux, the cross of the matter and worth of it all?  I suspect it is.

Anyway, that’s the rambling view from my desk this day.
Grace and joy,
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment