Friday, April 13, 2012

Zen Cowboys and Long Obedience


God speaks through the strangest sources sometimes.  Many times for me it’s a quote I run across and tuck in my pockets, which bulge sometimes as full as my bookcases.  Today’s ponderings come from a Zen saying and the other from an atheist philosopher, of all places:

Always ride the horse in the direction it’s going. ~The Zen Cowboy

The essential thing in “heaven and earth,” is . . . that there should be long obedience in the same direction, there thereby results, and has always resulted in the long run, something which has made life worth living.  ~ Fredrich Nietzsche, “Beyond Good and Evil”

Believe it or not, Easter came to mind when the two quotes met in my brain.  We’ve come through Lent, having prepared ourselves for dying or letting go of something that needed to die within us, so that as we are shed of the things of which we need to let go, we experience new life, a resurrection.  Jesus played out the drama for us in his life.  We were called to do the same in this high-fulutin' liturgical season of the church year.  If I'm honest with myself, I need to do that every day, but thank goodness the Church stresses that importance at least once a year, or I am apt to put it off.

So I ask myself 1) What was the horse I was riding, and in what direction; and 2)Am I committed to the long obedience of that direction?

If I can’t be honest with myself about those two questions, this Lent and Easter have been in vain.  Not that all may be lost if I can’t, but today may be the Christian moment for resolutions.  The rest of the world sets New Year’s resolutions.  Our Christian year may begin with our resurrection resolutions.  Mine this New Easter Year is to name the horse; assess the direction; commit to the long run; and hang on tight to the reins because in the long run, that’s what will make life worth living.

I invite you to join me this fine Post-Easter day, Easter People!

Grace and joy,
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment