Thursday, June 28, 2012

Freedom Gifts


Way before Eugene Peterson wrote the beautiful paraphrase of scripture, The Message, he wrote the following in Traveling Light:

Every Christian’s story is a freedom story.  Each tells how a person has been set free from the confines of small ideas, from the chains of what other people think, from the emotional cages of guilt and regret, from the prisons of self. . . . We are free to change.  The process of that change is always a good story, but it is never a neat formula.

We’ll be celebrating freedom next week.  Freedom to live within the rights and privileges of being a United States citizen, freedom to worship, freedom to choose representatives, freedom from tyrannies.  Those freedoms are gifts that we often take for granted.  I’m grateful for them.

I take Christian freedoms for granted too, however.  Not only do I take them for granted, I often wrap the gifts back up and stick them high on a shelf, out of sight.  Even worse, I pick up the chains of tyranny, by imprisoning myself in small ideas; concern with what others might think if I am myself; and I put on sweaters of guilt and regret—and swelter in them before I realize that I have the ability to take an honest inventory of my sinfulness and work to make amends, which will release me.  God supplies and I fail to apply!  It’s a constant challenge, this bent to the sin of forgetting these gifts of forgiveness that are as close as the beating of my heart.

It’s my prayer for us this week that we all free ourselves from at least one piece, if not all, of our baggage that ties us down, by picking up the gifts of mercy and grace, freely offered by God to us all this very second.  Then leap for joy and do a little dance.  Who cares what anyone thinks?  God will love it, and I promise you will too.  After all, it's our Christian story, and I'm grateful for it.

At least that’s the joyful view from my desk!

Grace and joy,
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment