Tuesday, July 3, 2012

See ya later, Andy...


Andy Griffith died today, July 3rd, right before Independence Day 2012.

It’s the end of an era, they are saying.  But so important not to let it be the end, just a passing of the torch.

Last week in the Combined Sunday School Class in McWhirter Hall, we talked about one of the most valuable freedoms we possess—that of having the ability to set priorities.  I find myself getting complacent frequently, until a crises knocks me on the forehead and reminds me to get my priorities in order.  What’s 1, 2 and 3?

God.  Family.  Vocation.  Authentic priorities can be checked by how much we think of them, time spent on them, money spent on them, how much I act on them.  Belief without action is, well, vanity.
So what’s that got to do with Andy Griffith?  Well, I’ve been a fan for a long, long time.  He and Danny Thomas were my television dads.  Anyone else have television dads?  It was easier to relate to Mr. Griffith, however, because my dad didn’t run around in nightclubs like Mr. Thomas.  Instead, my dad and I would have long conversations about God, many times at a fishin’ hole.  And about integrity.  And about grace.  Because with God, family, Sabbath time, integrity and grace, you can’t come up with a better formula for right living.  And everything I’ve read about Mr. Griffith reflected that kind of authentic life. 

I imagine he was flawed, and needed mending like we all do.  I don’t want to know it at the moment, and you will find me sticking fingers in my ears like Barney Fyffe (a fellow WVU alum) because I don’t want to think about it.  I simply want to celebrate a life that enriched mine with faith, relationships, rest, character, music and grins.  The Mayberry kind of life is a good model, and ageless as far as I’m concerned.  Even if it’s on an old scratchy record talking about “This thing called a football….”

Pardon me while I whistle a little tune with a wink and a smile before a nap today.  See ya, Andy.  Keep the home fires burning for me ‘til I get there too.

Grace and joy,
Julie 

No comments:

Post a Comment