Friday, July 13, 2012

Inspiration Transformation Resurrection!

I've just arrived back home from SoulFeast.  Oh my goodness.  My head is swimming with information/inspiration/motivation/transformation.  I'm so excited to share lots of stuff with you, particularly in enhancing our ministries together here at West End UMC.  It's been my belief for a long time that knowledge for knowledge's sake, unless shared, is vanity, and believe me, I can't wait to do just that.

But.  But.  The 'buts' happen, don't they?  Mine occurred early this morning with the news that the most precious lady ever, my second mom I love to call her, is celebrating her 80th birthday by going home from the hospital to hospice care.  We think she'll hang around for another week before heading Home to Our Father's loving arms from there.  I can't begin to express my grief.

God was good yesterday in worship at Lake Junaluska.  Bless Rev. Rob Fuquay's heart.  Unbeknownst to him, he preached the memorial service for Syble that I needed for my own grief that would begin to unfold 24 hours later.  You probably don't think about it much, but we pastor types need nurturing and feeding on a regular basis in order to keep shepherding the flocks.  God provided sustenance in His oh so prevenient way!  I have tears just thinking about it.

Rob's words from God reminded me that death takes away.  Death removes.  Death cannot give a future.  Death cannot create, nor can it create again.  Death can not make new again. 

Resurrection is the opposite.
Resurrection brings life.  Resurrection provides a future. Resurrection creates, and creates again.  Resurrection makes new again.

Jesus IS the resurrection and the life.  Jesus came to Mary and Martha in their grief, to be for them the resurrection and life.  Jesus comes to us today in OUR grief.  Jesus brings relief from grief in the promise, and in his proof of the promise.  Jesus is our resurrection and life.

Jesus IS our resurrection and life.  In every way, shape or form--fact, symbol, metaphor.  If that's not a mantra to live by, I don't know what is.

Syble was a resurrection figure in my life, too.  So it is an honor to go back to Texas to celebrate her life with her family, who are my family, forever.  Keep the home fires burning for me.  I know you will.

Grace and joy as I hit the road again,
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment