Thursday, September 6, 2012

A Coffee Cup Matter



I have been known to be a sucker for sales.  If it’s a bargain price, how could I pass something up?  I’m saving all that money, right?

That’s how I ended up with a mug with a quote from Max Lucado.

I know.  My academic friends don’t care much for Max, but I like his images—and often wish I’d thought of them first, as they are so, well, obvious!

So I bought the mug on sale. The shape was sharp, the size was super, and it had Max’s wisdom printed on the front and back.  Yes, it was a little crooked.  Hence the sale price, but it was on sale.  Into my cart it went.  Perfection isn’t always a necessity.

Max’s wise quote said:  If it matters to you, it matters to God.

When I got home, I started to regret the impulse buy.  The imprint made me think twice about actually drinking my coffee from it in public.  At first, I liked the sentiment.  Yeah, God and I are buds that way.  But then, I thought maybe that’s a little arrogant.  Because it matters to me, it matters to God?  Perhaps it should have been stated the other way around—what matters to God, matters to me.  There’s a difference. 

I really want to live my life in a way that always and everywhere, in every circumstance, comes from a center of what matters to God.  Love, Humility, Justice, Mercy, Compassion.  You know, the biggies, the brass tacks of what really, really matters to God.  I know me, however, and I miss the mark on that target, frequently.  Maybe I should just give my bargain to Goodwill, for someone more worthy.

That’s when I felt God winking at me.  Because with a little nudge and a twinkle in His eye, I heard that still, small voice whisper “Julie, if it matters to you, God cares.  God cares if what matters to you misses the mark or is spot on.  What matters to all God’s creation is significant, simply because He loves all.  And in God’s loving, compassionate way, God cares about the consequences of what matters to us.”

I’m not sure if that’s what Max meant, but imperfect me can drink from my crooked cup with comfort.  Thank you, God, for that reminder. 

Now, I wonder if there’s any coffee left?

Grace and joy,
Julie

1 comment:

  1. A mug is a sturdily built type of cup often used for drinking hot beverages, such as coffee, tea, or hot chocolate.custom coffee mugs

    ReplyDelete