Friday, September 28, 2012

A Sacrificial Gift



            Late one afternoon, a hospital nurse spotted a tall, uniformed fellow entering the facility’s automatic doors.  We call them ‘the magic doors’ here at West End, but you know what I mean.  She grabbed his sleeve and said “Oh, I’m so glad you’re here.  Your dad has been asking for you, and he’s not doing well at all.”

            Turning on his polished heels, he entered the room, sat down in the bedside chair, took the old man’s hand and leaned over to his ear.  “It’s okay, Dad, I’m here.”  A weak smile, but relaxation at last washed over him like a much anticipated tide, sweeping away the fear and anxiety.  “Would you like me to read you a psalm?”  A nod.  You could touch the peace that passed understanding in that sterile hospital room that afternoon.

            A couple of hours later, the serviceman walked up to the nurses’ station.  “I think your patient has passed away,” he said.

            The nurse reached out for his sleeve again.  “I’m so sorry about your father,” she said with much compassion.

            “That wasn’t my father,” the serviceman explained.  “But he needed his son at that moment, and I could be that for him.”

            Wow.  I was blown away by that story.  There was a need, and one of God’s beloveds met it.  I wonder about the fella’s sacrifice—where was he originally going?  Would whomever he was supposed to meet understand?  Could I have done the same, or would I feel obligated to explain to the nurse that it wasn’t my father from the get-go?   I’m not sure.  There are lots of what-ifs that could have happened otherwise.

            I am sure that we are given chances to meet the needs of others all the time.  Sometimes it’s not much of a cost to us.  Sometimes it’s just a listening ear.  Sometimes it’s holding a hand, sitting, sometimes it’s just a matter of time.  Literally.

            Some things can wait.  And some things need attention now.  May God grant us the wisdom to know the difference, to make a difference.  For one soul at a time.

Grace and joy,
Julie

           

No comments:

Post a Comment