Thursday, March 14, 2013

A Bell, a G-Dog, and God



I just met Rob Bell, and my heart is aflutter!

At the risk of sounding like a groupie, I’m in love—with this authentic, funny, poke fun with and get to the heart of a matter Real Person.

I’ve watched most of his Nooma short films, which always bring a fresh breeze belonging to the Holy Spirit.  I have every book, and for once I was too shy to ask for a signed book autograph.  I’m holding out for a second gathering of like minds for that opportunity.

It’s so important, he reminded us pastors today, to listen.  To listen without an agenda.  Even though we get paid to have an agenda—and are even evaluated on our agendas.  But life in The Spirit rarely has an agenda.

God seems once again to be “touching me” with a two-by-four . . . you know that knocked over feeling.  Rob Bell cuts to the chase before you even know you’re on a journey.  It’s the same hair-standing-up-on-the-back-of-my-neck feeling I had when I read Father Gregory Boyle’s book, Tattoos on the Heart.  I am a changed person, with a new outlook, or perhaps a deeper, more authentic outlook, when folks cross my path.  I will warn you, Tattoos on the Heart is not reading for the faint-of-heart.  The language is rough, but then, so is the area of Los Angeles where Father G, or G-Dog, serves.  It’s the heart of Gangland America, actually Global Gangland, and the honest to God struggles God’s children have trying to find a new normal other than the life around them.   

Truth be told, it’s a struggle we all have at one point, or maybe all points at some time or another, short or long stretches. 

“I’m not worthy to be loved.”

Father G authentically listens and works hard to hold up a mirror of compassion, to remind all of us, ALL of us, that in God’s eyes, we are more than worthy.  We are beloved.  

Not as the world says, but as God creates, sees and says.

Rob Bell reminded us, yeah even us pastors, that our not worthy-ness suspicions aren’t true.  Even the Demi Moore’s of the world are worthy and beloved (see a recent People magazine cover for her confession).

Our task, as disciples, is to find creative ways to help those the world considers the least, the last and the lost, to believe that about themselves.  With compassion.  With calmness.  With creativity.  With comfort.  With cleverness.

I have no idea what God has in store for me in a few months, but for the first time in a long time, I’m jazzed about what God must have in mind for me.  And for you.

Thanks, Rob.  Thanks, Father G.  Thanks, Stephen.  Thanks, Sarah.  Thanks, God.  I’m listening.

Grace and joy,
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment