Thursday, March 28, 2013

Maundy Meanderings



On my way into work this glorious Maundy Thursday morning, I passed a van with a bumper sticker that said “Waiting for the Lord to come back again.”  My Super Pastor Cape wanted to unfurl, and in a safe, but dramatic move with my Prius, swing out in front of him bringing the van to a surprising halt, whereupon I would jump out, go up to the driver’s window, and gently (of course) explain that if he opened his eyes, he would see that the Lord is alive and well, every nanosecond at present. He need wait no longer. 

The Lord is a block away at The Little Pantry That Could.  He is at the street corner with everyone stopping to buy The Contributor from the fella that parks himself at the corner by the Shell station, where his dog gets occasional treats as well.  He is with the struggling but faithful congregation on Charlotte Avenue, and even the big struggling faithful ones on West End Avenue.  He is in every hospital room for blocks and blocks, and in every waiting room as family and friends gather with breath prayers spoken and unspoken.  He's at the Jack In The Box drive-thru window with the woman who just paid for the meal for the family behind her.  He is with those who are trying to be patient; He’s with those who are facing the imminent deaths of loved ones; He’s with our celebrations and our tragedies and everything in between. He is with every life, every death, every resurrection.

Yeah, yeah, I know the intent of the bumper sticker message, but I hope, hope, HOPE that the driver knows Christ is alive and well and working hard in us, through us, and in spite of us until The Kingdom is experienced throughout the world.  That’s what Easter is about for me.  It’s about remembering the sacrifice on my behalf; it’s about maintaining courage through the tough days; it’s about knowing that Sunday IS coming, and never giving up.  The question for me isn’t “How long, O Lord?” but “How can I help bring about Your Kingdom in the corner You’ve given me?”

Okay, I’ll put my cape away for another day.  Christ was, is and will be.  Now and until the end of time.   He doesn't need me stopping traffic to continue loving His creation.

Thank you, God, for another Glorious Easter, and for the co-creating service in between.

Grace and joy,
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment