Friday, April 12, 2013

Curiouser and Curiouser...



If I didn’t believe it before today, the only thing worse than waiting at the DMV is waiting at the Comcast Service Center.  At least at the DMV you get to sit down while waiting for your number to appear on the big screen, and they sometimes give you an approximate waiting time.  At Comcast, we had to stand in line, holding unwieldy equipment to turn in, and listen to rude comments from the other side of the counter.  I agreed with my new 5-year-old friend Harmony who stood behind me, wishing we could hear the Loonie Tunes show instead.  At least it was Wylie Coyote, and we could laugh even though we couldn’t hear the explosions or the beep-beeps.

Now I could have chosen to let that ruin my day, but instead I remained curious.  I was curious why a trio of men were trying to turn in equipment which didn’t appear to belong to them; I was curious about the fellow wearing a zoot suit, complete with shiny saddle oxfords and fedora, walking down West End; I was curious about the fast food cashier who remained in excellent humor even though some of her customers were being difficult at best; and I’m even curious as to why I’ve procrastinated working on my taxes until now and will be stuck inside this afternoon rather than outside in this glorious Spring weather crunching numbers.

When all else fails, my mantra these days is “stay curious.”  Within a state of curiosity, you don’t have to judge—by all means, judging negates curiosity every time.  Besides, “curious” makes my eyebrows rise, which usually gets a smile rising from others in the room probably thinking the same thing!  And I’m convinced that the outer edges of my eyebrows are connected to the muscles on the outer corners of my mouth, because I almost always smile too.

It was Paul’s curiosity about Jesus that led to his great faith.  I suspect the curiosity of the disciples and other followers of Christ did the same. It’s often been my curiosity about people of great faith that has led to my own faith journey’s twists and turns.  My curiosity toward just about everyone has bubbled up many conversations about faith journeys, which also opens a path for me to share as well at the points in our paths which intersect.

As we focus the next few weeks on Witness, I encourage you to use your “curious” tools.  It always takes the scary edge off “witness” that sometimes lurks in the shadows.  Trust me, curiosity will open your eyes, your heart, your mind and your doors.  Works every time.

Grace and joy,

Julie

1 comment:

  1. Hi Julie - I apologize for the unpleasant experience at the local office. Will you please let me know the exact location of the office you visited? I will share your experience with my local colleagues so that we can provide a better experience next time.

    Please contact me and include a link to this page as a point of reference.

    Thanks,

    ComcastMark
    Comcast Corp.
    National Customer Operations
    We_can_help@cable.comcast.com


    ReplyDelete