Friday, April 26, 2013

Parable of The Pencil

The news was fascinating this morning, as a reporter interviewed teachers and students regarding the future of keyboards.  Many of the students argued they could text faster with two fingers than ten using a QWERTY keyboard.  The teachers argued for the necessity of typing skills.  I'd have to say I agree with the adults, but then, keyboarding is in my muscle memory and my fingers tend to be to big and clumsy for texting with any speed whatsoever.

I remember John Gaines this morning, who would point to the pencil in his pocket to say it was the best "computer" he had, and there was no arguing with him.  If he were here today, I would share with him this parable, which would make him laugh I'm sure, but he would understand completely.  And I thought I'd better share it with you before pencils and paper become obsolete!

The allegory comes from South Africa, and was shared with me by Irish priest James Feehan:

The inventor of the pencil addressed his finished product.  "Pencil," he said, "I want you to remember four things.

"First, your goodness and true worth is within you.

"Second, you'll need to be sharpened as you go through your life.

"Third, you'll be in someone else's hand, otherwise you'll make an awful mess.

"Finally, you'll be expected to make a mark."

As for me, I'm glad God invented us "pencils," and I'm particularly glad God is in charge of the eraser, when we make that available.  Otherwise, as broken pencils, we'd be pointless, eh?

Grace and joy,
Julie

1 comment:

  1. One of my former typing students reminded me several weeks ago that I always got on her about using her left thumb to hit the space bar. She says she still uses her left thumb to hit the spacebar. We laughed togethet and agreed in the grand scheme of things, that is so unimportant now. Ha ha.

    ReplyDelete