Friday, May 17, 2013

Those Awkward Tweens



 You know that time.  That in-between time.  That awkward in-between time.

Sue Monk Kidd says it this way:
It was the in-between time, before day leaves and night comes, a time I’ve never been partial to because of the sadness that lingers in the space between going and coming.

That’s where I am, and will be lingering, for the next month and a half, until I leave for Charleston, West Virginia, where I’ve been appointed as Associate Pastor to Christ Church United Methodist, a few blocks from the State Capitol.  It reminds me a lot of West End, and they’ve welcomed me with open arms and a warm, hospitable spirit.  I’ll be responsible for Parish Life.  How’s THAT for an all-inclusive job description!  I’m extremely blessed.

But you know the space—the almosts and the not yets.  Sad and grieving to be leaving friends here.  Excited and challenged to consider new adventures yet to be.  I’m grateful to have time to say goodbye (the root of which is ‘Go on your way with God’ which doesn’t ring with finality).

I will not be one of your pastors anymore, but I will always remain a friend.  My home is already assigned to me (four bedrooms, fenced backyard for Bella, on a mountaintop).  I’ll share my address if you email me for it.

Some of you have asked what you can do to help.  Here’s my short list:

1)       Pray for me, Christ Church, and my ministry there for God’s pleasure.
2)       Pray for Nancy Hawthorne as she assumes her appointment here at West End.
3)       Pray that my house sells quickly (and to all our realtor members, I had to pick a name out of a hat    because I simply couldn’t decide among you).
4)      Share any moving boxes with me that you may need to get rid of. I promise I will pay it forward!

Not so inspirational this week, I fear, but occasionally we have to cover nuts and bolts.  My favorite quote is one by Dag Hammerskjold, which I have probably shared with you before (and I always do when I marry a couple), but it rings true again and again for the gifts and lessons I’ve gained from my time at West End:

For all that has been, we say Thanks.  For all that will be, we say Yes.

Thanks be to God for our time together, and for our remaining days of preparation.

Grace and joy,
Julie


No comments:

Post a Comment