Friday, February 3, 2012

Religious Expectations


There are times when I cringe when the subject of religion comes up.  Now, that may seem rather odd, given my vocation, but I am mortified by people who claim to speak for Christianity, make bold statements about what God’s opinion is, or threaten others in the name of faith.  It’s not hard to picture standing on the Mt. of Olives hillside with Jesus shaking his head and weeping over the state of his children.  Or as Anne Lamott said it in a more modern twist, it’s enough to make Jesus drink his vodka straight from the cat’s dish.  I’m smiling as I said that.

I ran across some notes I took in a class long, long ago.  Let me share them with you this morning, even though the source is now lost in the decades:

I have NO right to expect my religion to
1) Enhance my respectability.
2) To be a source of external culture or sophistication.
3) To ensure financial stability.
4) To guarantee me freedom from pain or suffering.

I DO expect my religion:
1) To give me the discovery of and assist me in the mastery over the inner world.
2) To afford an alliance with a Power that should give me a sense of security in a dangerous and tragic world.
3) To assist me in living peacefully with others.
4) To put in me an attitude, which would enable me to face the ultimate future, with optimism, unafraid.

Now, an expectation isn’t a right.  It’s an opportunity, and I have to do my part to be open and willing to look at different perspectives.  Through God’s grace, it’s an opportunity that is ever present, ever available, ever loving, ever reconciling.  For that I’m beyond thankful!

Okay, I will climb down off my soapbox now.  But speaking of soap, here’s something to smile about—

Ten Reasons Why I Never Wash
10.  I was made to wash as a child.
 9.  People who wash are hypocrites.  They think they are cleaner than other people.
 8.  There are so many different kinds of soaps.  I could never decide which one was right.
 7.  I used to wash, but it got boring so I stopped.
 6.  I still wash on special occasions, like Christmas, Mother’s Day and Easter.
 5.  None of my friends wash.
 4.  I’m still young.  When I’m older and have gotten dirtier, I might start washing.
 3.  I really don’t have time to wash.
 2.  The bathroom is never warm enough.

and the #1. reason I never wash is, People who make soap are only after your money!

Enough said.

Grace and joy,
Julie

1 comment:

  1. Julie..this was both beautiful and very funny. Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete