Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Valentine's Day Blues?

I want to pass this on, written by a life coach friend and shared by a mutual friend.  One of those pieces I wish I had written, but I'm sure it will touch someone this day....

Client’s Question: "Since I'm not in a romantic relationship right now, I really dread Valentine's Day, even more than the holidays. I feel like hibernating until the 15th, because everything in the stores and on television points to romance. HELP!"

It seems common for those who are not in a relationship at the time of Valentine's Day to feel lonely and left out. February 14th is a special day that has been set-aside in order to honor "love", and most commonly in America, it is most famous for being a time of celebrating "romantic love".

I have always been a romantic, at heart, and Valentine's Day presented a special occasion for me to express myself to my partner in a loving way. But, when I was not in a relationship, I certainly felt frustrated and alone with thoughts of jealousy for those around me, who seemed to be successful in having someone to share Valentine’s Day (comparing myself to others was one of my quickest ways of guaranteeing feelings of aloneness and sometimes forms of depression).

Today it is clear that in order for me to have the healthy, balanced relationship I want in my life, I must first develop a healthy, balanced relationship with myself. This means first of all, I am learning to love, honor and respect myself, therefore allowing myself the capability of offering this same love, honor and respect to others. Consequently, when Valentine's Day rolls around each year (whether or not I have a significant relationship) February 14th has become for me a day of “expressing love”. I share a similar excitement, but my focus is entirely different. My day is filled with gratitude for all the love that I receive from my family and friends throughout the year. I often contact family members and special friends to let them know of their importance to me and to share my gratitude for the love and the connection we have. I am amazed at how this change of perspective and action has altered my experience of Valentine’s Day. This day is now filled with love and appreciation, whereas before I mainly experienced fear, resentment and loneliness.

So, as the 14th of February approaches and if you find yourself missing that special love-one in your life, remember to feel and express a grateful love to yourself and those close to you, and allow this day to be what it was originally intended to be, a day of celebrating love. 
Barry Teller

A Heart soaked in Love alone is a Sacred Heart

No comments:

Post a Comment